Slider

Confession #3

Friday, March 21, 2014

Today was one of those days where you're just so tired you can't even think by about 10:00 and the kids are waiting on you. The kiddos were awesome today.

So, my confession for today is that I absolutely cannot stand A.R. It seems like it wastes so much time and the kids aren't benefiting from it. I've been doing a lot of research on reading and I found that allowing a child to read a book of their choice for fun is so much more beneficial. I allow my students to read recreational books for fifteen minutes at any given point during the day. They are allowed to bring a book or comic of their choice from home or read what we have on our bookshelf. Our books include fun facts about animals or any thing scientific that draws them in. Reading can be fun and kids don't need the program to bog them down with it. I remember doing A.R. when I was in school and I was so excited that I didn't have to do it anymore when I got in high school. As a matter of fact, I don't recall reading a book for pleasure throughout all four years of high school thanks to that program.

Let me know how you all feel about the A.R. program. I know it can be beneficial, but I have yet to see it.
Powered by Blogger.

Shop my favorites

Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

© Barnett's School House 2020